scp-303 and possible functionality

Have any suggestions? Voice your ideas here!
jojack1234

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:55 pm

inspired by Punkie's art in collab section(possible design can be found)
balanced by GIF_iso
scp-303
Description: Witnesses describe SCP-303 as a nude, sexless, emaciated humanoid figure with reddish-brown skin. Instead of normal facial features, its head is dominated by an extremely large mouth, which bears a set of oversized human teeth. It continually vocalizes a wheezing noise, loud enough to be heard from the other side of most solid doors. All individuals who have had encounters with SCP-303 are capable of describing it in full, including individuals who have not physically seen any part of it.
SCP-303 will periodically materialize behind any closed door, hatch, or other entryway barrier opposite a sentient observer, chosen by unknown means. SCP-303 will then remain behind the door for an indeterminate amount of time. Any individual attempting to open the door or barrier experiences intense, paralyzing fear that lasts until SCP-303 dematerializes (either on its own or to avoid being directly seen by another observer).
ingame class
(scp type support): rules provide by GIF
  • 1. As a "support class SCP", SCP 303 should not create an unwinnable cases for the player and for other antagonist SCP's, nor be the main cause of the player's death, unless the player himself made a mistake
    2. Due to its possibly extreme efficiency, rather, than actually helping hostile SCP's to get the player, SCP 303 should create and keep the illusion of said "cooperation" and help the chase to be more intense, while not breaking the rule №1
    3. The main purpose of this type of SCP is to create and keep an interesting dynamic and relationship between the player and other types of SCP's, as well, as help in creating a memorable, more intense chases and, possibly, help the world building via showing interactions between different SCP's
ingame functionality
scp 303 will have a low random chance of spawning behind a closed door either the player is heading to or at one of the doors in a room/corridor with 4 or more doors. when it does spawn it will make a loud breathing/wheezing noise signaling it's behind the door. when the player attempts to click the button to open the door (if facing a short 1-1½sec animation of the character reaching for the button then back his hand away while making a whimpering sound) if player is not facing the door the character will just make the whimpering sound. if there is a second attempt to open the door the players view will be forced to look at the door(view not locked) the doors opacity will go down making it look almost transparent revealing scp 303 model in either a sitting, standing, or crouching position as wheezing gets louder. after this the player can not press the button again until scp 303 despawn.
  • the duration of scp 303 will be a random amount between 10-40sec when players are not being chased
    the duration of 303 when the player is being chased would be tied to the factors of distance between hostile scp and player and room/corridor type the player and scp are located
GIF_iso idea
Rather, than making its duration time random and independent, which can create a significant amount of BS death traps, even with decreased spawn rate (unless it's going to be extremely rare event), why not tie it to two factors: distance between the player and chasing SCP and the room/corridor type, in which the player and chasing SCP are located
What I mean by this is that, basically, when SCP 303 "wants" to spawn, it should track where the player is located, and, if there's a chase happening, track the distance between the SCP and the player too to make a calculation, whether it should spawn there or not (if not, for example, because the chasing SCP is too close to the player, then move on to the other door) and if yes, probably, after it jumpscared the player (or what it likes to do), calculate, for how long it should be locking the door, so that "at the last moment" the player can escape their doom, or, judging by the room/corridor type, force the player to try and avoid their threat. Actually simply saying - increase the intensity of the game/chase by putting the player in the bigger danger to force him to think and make a desicion quickly, while not breaking the stated rules.
spawn rate/ spawn habit
naturaly: low spawn rate also random
during chase: spawn rate increase but not to much (non hostile/other support scp dont count)
special areas: spawn rate decreases for offices, scp chambers, dead ends, and storage rooms
despawn: after despawn there will be a delay to when it can spawn again and either spawn one at a time or drastically decrease spawn rate if one is already present.
purpose
1. scare player on first and unexpected instances
2.slows the player letting them explore for items or a way around
potential future items referring to: key cards, gas mask, scp docs, world building docs/items, scp tapes, flash light, med kits, tip/hint docs, radios, and etc
3. forces the player to confront the scp's chasing them having them time their blink and to run around scp's like 173 and 106 making for more intense encounters.
NOTE: this only slows players as they could find ways around or wait for the duration .
recommendation not 100% needed but will improve gameplay
  • adding a scripted first instance tht is short to be used as a tutorial
  • improve dead end rooms to have more than one entrance/exits(not including chambers)
  • adding signs, labels, and arrows to hallway walls for room understanding
again a lot of help came from GIF_iso and punkie brout this spurr of inspiration
GIF_iso

Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:31 pm

Well, you've mentioned here what you think would be usable and helpful in implementing this SCP, but, if it will make you feel better, yes, you didn't forgot anything. Tho' a small little changes I would made are at my idea for the duration time - it needs to calculate, for how long the door should be locked immidiately after its spawning, not after it jumpscared the player, also, for the sake of balancing and, as far as I know, it can be done, the duration time can be made as not constant timer and change depending on the already mentioned two factors, but, mainly, on the distance between the player and chasing SCP, when there's a chase happening. Also, the "SCP class" thingy is not official, I just found it very fitting and it was easier to explain that way, so you can put "the rules" to the "ingame functionality", but it's all up to you.
Oh, yeah, almost forgot:
Wow, that's a very interesting idea for SCP 303!
"Unexplained disturbances are most troubling"
jojack1234

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 am

i was think that the duration time will automatically start as soon as it spawns and if the player is not being chased and then "triggers" it, it will add an extra 3-5sec to its duration.
duration = time till despawn; so naturally it shouldn't only start when it's triggered
jojack1234

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 am

GIF_iso wrote:
Well, you've mentioned here what you think would be usable and helpful in implementing this SCP, but, if it will make you feel better, yes, you didn't forgot anything. Tho' a small little changes I would made are at my idea for the duration time - it needs to calculate, for how long the door should be locked immidiately after its spawning, not after it jumpscared the player, also, for the sake of balancing and, as far as I know, it can be done, the duration time can be made as not constant timer and change depending on the already mentioned two factors, but, mainly, on the distance between the player and chasing SCP, when there's a chase happening. Also, the "SCP class" thingy is not official, I just found it very fitting and it was easier to explain that way, so you can put "the rules" to the "ingame functionality", but it's all up to you.
Oh, yeah, almost forgot:
i know the rule is not official but i agree tht it's easier using it because it's basically says tht non hostile/non lethal/and non chase scp's dont trigger it(depends on devs decision i guess)

also i've heard that there will be a sort of fps view where u could see the players hands coming in further updates down the line, so the "reach" animation could possibly be an event now.

with this i also have seen that they don't want hostile scp's that just kill you, maybe because they already have a list full of them so this scp could fit because it is non lethal
jojack1234

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:14 am

also the addition of fog/frost could be added when he spawns behind see through doors(glass doors) and he would disable all electronic when the player is near such flash lights, radios, scanners, cameras, and etc electronic items maybe even cause further lights to flicker and after it despawns the items stay disabled for a short amount of time(decided by the devs).
these features all also fit with his scp bio
GIF_iso

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:21 am

jojack1234 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 am
GIF_iso wrote:
Oh, yeah, almost forgot:
i know the rule is not official but i agree tht it's easier using it because it's basically says tht non hostile/non lethal/and non chase scp's dont trigger it(depends on devs decision i guess)

also i've heard that there will be a sort of fps view where u could see the players hands coming in further updates down the line, so the "reach" animation could possibly be an event now.

with this i also have seen that they don't want hostile scp's that just kill you, maybe because they already have a list full of them so this scp could fit because it is non lethal
I've come up with rules because of the "SCP class thing", which I also made up, 'cause that way it was easier to explain and this SCP, honestly, fits the role, if there would be any of course. And yeah, you're right, the devs had enough of the "antagonistic SCP's" and actually are planning to add this one, but how they're gonna do it - we don't know.
Also, an important part I'd like to touch is animations - they should be short and not take too much time (even a reaction to the 303 appearence), otherwise it can be fatal (wouldn't have been a problem if the devs were going for the Dark Souls style build, where you can't cancel your animation and need to learn to properly commit to it, otherwise YOU DIED, but as far as I know, it's not happening)
jojack1234

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:39 am

instead of having a regular containment chamber you could use a the storage room which would hold a number of items randomly chosen from a list of items(made by the devs) and then have other items laying around that the player cant pick up. scp 303 will hav a much higher chance of spawning(depends on dev) to lock the player out of this room. these are features from the addendum found below that are converted for the game
Addendum- 5/1/10: SCP-303 appears to have claimed the 2nd floor storage room as its own. It has so far disallowed any personnel entry to the room since 4/5/10. It leaves periodically to acquire Foundation property, which is then moved into the 2nd floor storage room. To date, the following list describes all non-classified items taken by SCP-303:
  • One (1) █████ cryotube
  • Three (3) sets of standard Foundation surgical equipment
    █████ ███ █████████████
    • Two (2) D-Class research cadavers
      • One (1) gasoline-powered generator
      • A variety of chemicals, including large quantities of tryptophan, phenylalanine, █████████ and tyrosine, among others
      • One (1) container of powdered coffee creamer
      In addition to this, a number of classified materials have been obtained by SCP-303. Staff are still attempting to determine what specific purposes SCP-303 may have for these materials.
        jojack1234

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 am

GIF_iso wrote:
        GIF_iso wrote:
        I've come up with rules because of the "SCP class thing", which I also made up, 'cause that way it was easier to explain and this SCP, honestly, fits the role, if there would be any of course. And yeah, you're right, the devs had enough of the "antagonistic SCP's" and actually are planning to add this one, but how they're gonna do it - we don't know.
        Also, an important part I'd like to touch is animations - they should be short and not take too much time (even a reaction to the 303 appearence), otherwise it can be fatal (wouldn't have been a problem if the devs were going for the Dark Souls style build, where you can't cancel your animation and need to learn to properly commit to it, otherwise YOU DIED, but as far as I know, it's not happening)
        i like what you did there xD glad to know im not the only darksouls fan PRAISE THE SUN!!!

but that cool to here that they're planning to add it, does that mean i should stop adding to this suggestion?
        GIF_iso

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:03 am

jojack1234 wrote:
        Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 am
        GIF_iso wrote:
        GIF_iso wrote:
        i like what you did there xD glad to know im not the only darksouls fan PRAISE THE SUN!!!

but that cool to here that they're planning to add it, does that mean i should stop adding to this suggestion?
        I'm not actually a Dark Souls fan, since I haven't played it, but I like that death screen XD

and, honestly, I don't know. If you still have some ideas, you can rewrite your suggestion and add the new thing you've come up with, it's all up to you, but if we're talking about me, I've presented all my ideas on this SCP to you and I don't know what more can be added to this suggestion, so I'm kinda done with it, but everything can happen, but also I'd like to say, that it's also important to not overdone your suggestion, 'cause as far as I know the devs are making an SCP video game, not an SCP simulator.

Also I think, that it'll be interesting for you to know:
        Living quarters:
        SCP-080-FR - The Peacock Egg Ω
        SCP-303 - The Doorman (color thing is my edit)
        SCP-420-J - The Best ████ in the World
        jojack1234

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 am

even though it's already confirmed i guess i could keep giving features in case the devs are interested. also this is just throwing out possible feature that aren't necessarily balanced, however, if the feature interest you we could discuss and improve the idea to better fit the game.
        • i already talked about allowing the door to turn transparent so instead of the scp just being in one of the listed postions idle he could have an open mouth breathing animation with fog coming from his mouth
        • maybe put important, unique, rare items and other future planned items in his containment room(supply closet maybe a little bigger than the room with the ghost duck up to devs tho)
        • possible interaction with other scp's if the devs are interested
        • allow it to spawn in lockers, large to mid size cabnets, and etc
        • maybe have faint heart beating sounds after loud jumpscare
        • possible fear status effect that give a 1.5 speed buff but give a chance to miss a door press
        Post Reply Previous topicNext topic