SCP-303: Art concept - Punkie

Help SCP Unity by posting sound files, design concepts, or anything else you would like to show the development team.
Punkie

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Hey folks!

First things first, just recently registered on this forum. Super glad to be a member, and I'll try to help as much as I can, and help the dev when I can.

Anyways, I swiftly took opportunity to plan and sketch my (rubbish) idea for 303's design. What do you think? Crits are more than welcome! Thanks.

scp303 blurred 01.JPG
scp303 blurred 02.JPG
MonsterForger

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:46 pm

That is terrifying.
RUN.Monsters Around Every Corner...HIDE.
Amateur WarriorVA

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Gotta get that "Mouth Of Sauron" vibe going!
maykayman

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:11 am

Now that's pretty dam solid to me. Just a little more harrowing detail, and its nightmare fuel. :D
jojack1234

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 pm

i could see this working by giving him a 10-25% chance of spawning at a closed door that the player is heading to and that chance boosting to 30-40% when getting chaced by a scp, with a random duration between 10-40sec till despawn. when its at the door you could hear loud breathing and wheezing coming from it, and then when the player tries to press the button it gives a short animation maybe 1-1½ sec (if facing the door) of the player reaching to press the button then his hand pulling back with him/her making a whimpering sound and then if pressed a second time the players view(no matter where their facing) gets forced to look at the door(view not locked on to it) as wheezing gets louder the opacity of the door drops so it would look kind of transparent allowing the player to see the scp. after this the player wouldn't be able to press the button until it despawns

is this the way you would see it functioning? i'd liked to know your thoughts on how it would work
ps. im sry if this comment doesn't belong im also new to the forums
GIF_iso

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:03 pm

jojack1234 wrote:
i could see this working by giving him a 10-25% chance of spawning at a closed door that the player is heading to and that chance boosting to 30-40% when getting chaced by a scp, with a random duration between 10-40sec till despawn. when its at the door you could hear loud breathing and wheezing coming from it, and then when the player tries to press the button it gives a short animation maybe 1-1½ sec (if facing the door) of the player reaching to press the button then his hand pulling back with him/her making a whimpering sound and then if pressed a second time the players view(no matter where their facing) gets forced to look at the door(view not locked on to it) as wheezing gets louder the opacity of the door drops so it would look kind of transparent allowing the player to see the scp. after this the player wouldn't be able to press the button until it despawns

is this the way you would see it functioning? i'd liked to know your thoughts on how it would work
Implementing it the way you described this SCP or similarly aka making it a random active threat/scare, that can stop the player at certain circumstances practically anywhere anytime, imo, in the current META of the game, is going to make it a huge source of frustration, rather than fear and terror, and other hostile SCP's too, 'cause the nature of this game aka gameplay is, basically, collect stuff to do stuff & run away through small, narrow corridors from SCP's, which will kill you on contact (most of them), so it very much means, that this SCP will help alot other SCP's to get the player more easily, leaving the player, basically, with no chances whatsoever.

Tho' I don't mean, that your idea just sucks (I would've said it, if I'd thought so), I'm just saying, that, again, imo, without significant changes either in your suggestion, either in gameplay and (minor) changes in level design, it just will not work well in the current META. Personally, waiting for more suggestions (even tho' I'm not one of the developers).
"Unexplained disturbances are most troubling"
jojack1234

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:22 am

GIF_iso wrote:
jojack1234 wrote:

Implementing it the way you described this SCP or similarly aka making it a random active threat/scare, that can stop the player at certain circumstances practically anywhere anytime, imo, in the current META of the game, is going to make it a huge source of frustration, rather than fear and terror, and other hostile SCP's too, 'cause the nature of this game aka gameplay is, basically, collect stuff to do stuff & run away through small, narrow corridors from SCP's, which will kill you on contact (most of them), so it very much means, that this SCP will help alot other SCP's to get the player more easily, leaving the player, basically, with no chances whatsoever.

Tho' I don't mean, that your idea just sucks (I would've said it, if I'd thought so), I'm just saying, that, again, imo, without significant changes either in your suggestion, either in gameplay and (minor) changes in level design, it just will not work well in the current META. Personally, waiting for more suggestions (even tho' I'm not one of the developers).
what would you do to improve on it so it could fit into the current meta, would you decrease spawn rate/duration or would you add something like a speed penalty for scp, or would you change something else?
my thought on the purpose of this scp would to:
1.scare the player on it's first instance and unexpected instance when not dealing with an scp
2. is to slow the player down and stop them from collecting some items for a short time and or keeping the player in the area to find more items and to force them to deal with the area and or situation for the few seconds they're locked there
3.i alrdy guessed tht it would be frustrating after the first or so appearance but it would be used to get the player to confront and get around an scp making it more intense; basically like running to a dead end with 173 and having to walk back around him, same situation with 106
this feature would cause intense incounters and could promote people looking around the area more but i would still like your opinion on how to improve it or how you view it functioning differently.
GIF_iso

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 am

jojack1234 wrote:
GIF_iso wrote:
jojack1234 wrote:

what would you do to improve on it so it could fit into the current meta, would you decrease spawn rate/duration or would you add something like a speed penalty for scp, or would you change something else?
1.scare the player on it's first instance and unexpected instance when not dealing with an scp
2. is to slow the player down and stop them from collecting some items for a short time and or keeping the player in the area to find more items and to force them to deal with the area and or situation for the few seconds they're locked there
3.i alrdy guessed tht it would be frustrating after the first or so appearance but it would be used to get the player to confront and get around an scp making it more intense; basically like running to a dead end with 173 and having to walk back around him, same situation with 106
this feature would cause intense incounters and could promote people looking around the area more but i would still like your opinion on how to improve it or how you view it functioning differently.
I really like your idea of it making specific sound cues to warn the player of "something else lurking", especially when there's a chase going on. Maybe, with a little in-game tutorial about/with it of some sort to give a hint, that it's not just a background ambience/sounds (tho', imo, it should be made to sound alike) and that it's something to worry about, this knowledge can create an additional tension for the player, again, especially when they're being chased (similarly, but on a much smaller scale, to how Alien:Isolation creates an additional tension via having a large number of minor things of big importance for the players to worry about, especially when they're being hunted by the Alien or/and when there are multiple threats inbound)

But now to the juicy stuff - balancing.
And the way you envisioned SCP 303 I found to be actually pretty interesting and, well, fitting (sorry for underestimating), as in gameplay it's supposed to be NOT a main antagonist SCP (like 173, 106 etc), but more like a support class (pretending to be on its own/separate), except, not for the player, but for other, more powerful, hostile SCP's, and, imo, that's exactly what you've described : random appearances, stopping the player on his way, but not directly harming him (startling at best) and "helping" (we'll get to that part soon) other hostile SCP's. It creates a very interesting dynamic and relationship between different SCP's and the player, similarly to the dynamic between the player, 1499 and 106. But the problem with your idea (and dynamic between 1499 and 106, but that's the story for another day), imo, is that there's just a lack of detail work and, well, yes, it's fitting, but not perfectly. For example:
  • point №3: yes, in a way you originally presented your idea, it CAN be used to get the player to confront and get around other hostile SCP instances, making the encounters more intense. But making the spawn rate THAT high, especially when getting chased, having the duration time random and independent from any other factors, accompanied with a current level design of multi-sectioned corridors with multiple entrences/exits (very good) aaaaand dead end rooms/narrow corridors with no ways to escape (not very good) can also result in some many unfair, inescapable and unwinnable situations.
  • point №2: stopping the player from progressing, so that they can explore the room/corridor they're in and find some other items? What items, may I ask, can be found in the empty corridors or in a room, which the player probably searched already?
After sitting in my chair, walking around my house, thinking for a while, I've come up with, what I think, should be done.
First of all, the main rules for this type of SCP:
  • 1. As a "support class SCP", SCP 303 should not create an unwinnable cases for the player and for other antagonist SCP's, nor be the main cause of the player's death, unless the player himself made a mistake
  • 2. Due to its possibly extreme efficiency, rather, than actually helping hostile SCP's to get the player, SCP 303 should create and keep the illusion of said "cooperation" and help the chase to be more intense, while not breaking the rule №1
  • 3. The main purpose of this type of SCP is to create and keep an interesting dynamic and relationship between the player and other types of SCP's, as well, as help in creating a memorable, more intense chases and, possibly, help the world building via showing interactions between different SCP's

Now, how we can possibly achieve that?
The first change is to the already presented spawn chances. Don't know how much, but I think the spawn rate should be lower (needs testing).
On the other hand, the duration time, especially the way it works, should be changed too, but I think, that I've come up with a pretty interesting solution:
Rather, than making its duration time random and independent, which can create a significant amount of BS death traps, even with decreased spawn rate (unless it's going to be extremely rare event), why not tie it to two factors: distance between the player and chasing SCP and the room/corridor type, in which the player and chasing SCP are located
What I mean by this is that, basically, when SCP 303 "wants" to spawn, it should track where the player is located, and, if there's a chase happening, track the distance between the SCP and the player too to make a calculation, whether it should spawn there or not (if not, for example, because the chasing SCP is too close to the player, then move on to the other door) and if yes, probably, after it jumpscared the player (or what it likes to do), calculate, for how long it should be locking the door, so that "at the last moment" the player can escape their doom, or, judging by the room/corridor type, force the player to try and avoid their threat. Actually simply saying - increase the intensity of the game/chase by putting the player in the bigger danger to force him to think and make a desicion quickly, while not breaking the stated rules.

The last major thing I want to address towards the balancing of this SCP is the level design. So far, most of the new corridors are very well designed not only from a visual standpoint, but also from gameplay - most of them are of different shapes and curves, but have a multiple entrences/exits (up to 4), but with the rooms, offices and containment chambers it's a different story, because most of them are a dead ends with only one entrence which is also an exit. And this is understandable for some of them (like toilets), but, especially with the addition of such SCP like 303, I believe it can create a bit of a problem. So I think, that either some of the special rooms, containment chambers and all of the offices should have 2 entrences/exits, or all corridors, rooms, offices etc should have labels and "roadarrows" and "roadmaps" of some sort and smth like that, similar to what we have for the containment chambers, to help the players to navigate the facility more easily and increase the believability, immersion and worldbuilding (for inspiration I recommend to analyze Alien:Isolation's level design and visual aesthetic, or, actually, any other game with similar attention to detail and level design).

My only concern with this idea, is that I'm not actually sure whether or not it's possible to programm. I mean, truth be told, I know jack shit about programming, so I can't be even sure to guess, whether the idea of mine is actually realistic and not so hard to do, or only possible via magic in the programmers wet dream.

I think that's all THANK GOD!
Last edited by GIF_iso on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jojack1234

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 pm

GIF_iso wrote:
jojack1234 wrote:
GIF_iso wrote:

I really like your idea of it making specific sound cues to warn the player of "something else lurking", especially when there's a chase going on. Maybe, with a little in-game tutorial about/with it of some sort to give a hint, that it's not just a background ambience/sounds (tho', imo, it should be made to sound alike) and that it's something to worry about, this knowledge can create an additional tension for the player, again, especially when they're being chased (similarly, but on a much smaller scale, to how Alien:Isolation creates an additional tension via having a large number of minor things of big importance for the players to worry about, especially when they're being hunted by the Alien or/and when there are multiple threats inbound)

And the way you envisioned SCP 303 I found to be actually pretty interesting and, well, fitting (sorry for underestimating), as in gameplay it's supposed to be NOT a main antagonist SCP (like 173, 106 etc), but more like a support class (pretending to be on its own/separate), except, not for the player, but for other, more powerful, hostile SCP's, and, imo, that's exactly what you've described : random appearances, stopping the player on his way, but not directly harming him (startling at best) and "helping" (we'll get to that part soon) other hostile SCP's. It creates a very interesting dynamic and relationship between different SCP's and the player, similarly to the dynamic between the player, 1499 and 106. But the problem with your idea (and dynamic between 1499 and 106, but that's the story for another day), imo, is that there's just a lack of detail work and, well, yes, it's fitting, but not perfectly. For example:
  • point №3: yes, in a way you originally presented your idea, it CAN be used to get the player to confront and get around other hostile SCP instances, making the encounters more intense. But making the spawn rate THAT high, especially when getting chased, having the duration time random and independent from any other factors, accompanied with a current level design of multi-sectioned corridors with multiple entrences/exits (very good) aaaaand dead end rooms/narrow corridors with no ways to escape (not very good) can also result in some many unfair, inescapable and unwinnable situations.
  • point №2: stopping the player from progressing, so that they can explore the room/corridor they're in and find some other items? What items, may I ask, can be found in the empty corridors or in a room, which the player probably searched already?
After sitting in my chair, walking around my house, thinking for a while, I've come up with, what I think, should be done.
  • 1. As a "support class SCP", SCP 303 should not create an unwinnable cases for the player and for other antagonist SCP's, nor be the main cause of the player's death, unless the player himself made a mistake
  • 2. Due to its possibly extreme efficiency, rather, than actually helping hostile SCP's to get the player, SCP 303 should create and keep the illusion of said "cooperation" and help the chase to be more intense, while not breaking the rule №1
  • 3. The main purpose of this type of SCP is to create and keep an interesting dynamic and relationship between the player and other types of SCP's, as well, as help in creating a memorable, more intense chases and, possibly, help the world building via showing interactions between different SCP's

The first change is to the already presented spawn chances. Don't know how much, but I think the spawn rate should be lower (needs testing).
On the other hand, the duration time, especially the way it works, should be changed too, but I think, that I've come up with a pretty interesting solution:
Rather, than making its duration time random and independent, which can create a significant amount of BS death traps, even with decreased spawn rate (unless it's going to be extremely rare event), why not tie it to two factors: distance between the player and chasing SCP and the room/corridor type, in which the player and chasing SCP are located
What I mean by this is that, basically, when SCP 303 "wants" to spawn, it should track where the player is located, and, if there's a chase happening, track the distance between the SCP and the player too to make a calculation, whether it should spawn there or not (if not, for example, because the chasing SCP is too close to the player, then move on to the other door) and if yes, probably, after it jumpscared the player (or what it likes to do), calculate, for how long it should be locking the door, so that "at the last moment" the player can escape their doom, or, judging by the room/corridor type, force the player to try and avoid their threat. Actually simply saying - increase the intensity of the game/chase by putting the player in the bigger danger to force him to think and make a desicion quickly, while not breaking the stated rules.

The last major thing I want to address towards the balancing of this SCP is the level design. So far, most of the new corridors are very well designed not only from a visual standpoint, but also from gameplay - most of them are of different shapes and curves, but have a multiple entrences/exits (up to 4), but with the rooms, offices and containment chambers it's a different story, because most of them are a dead ends with only one entrence which is also an exit. And this is understandable for some of them (like toilets), but, especially with the addition of such SCP like 303, I believe it can create a bit of a problem. So I think, that either some of the special rooms, containment chambers and all of the offices should have 2 entrences/exits, or all corridors, rooms, offices etc should have labels and "roadarrows" and "roadmaps" of some sort and smth like that, similar to what we have for the containment chambers, to help the players to navigate the facility more easily and increase the believability, immersion and worldbuilding (for inspiration I recommend to analyze Alien:Isolation's level design and visual aesthetic, or, actually, any other game with similar attention to detail and level design).

i agree these balances and changes would work wonders for this scp's functionality . also you could a lowered spawn rate variable for certain rooms so it rarely appears for rooms like scp cambers and offices. the items i was talking about were potential items tht might be add to the game like key cards, gas mask, scp docs, world building docs, scp tapes, flash lights, med kits , tip/hint docs, and etc. this scp could shortly block ones progression but it wont stop them from going around or looking around.. a big factor that also needs some thought is delay between spawns and if there would be only one but other then that i think these changesare amazing .
ps. btw beautiful/constructive response , this is why i love forums
GIF_iso

Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:38 pm

jojack1234 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 pm
GIF_iso wrote:
jojack1234 wrote:

i agree these balances and changes would work wonders for this scp's functionality . also you could a lowered spawn rate variable for certain rooms so it rarely appears for rooms like scp cambers and offices. the items i was talking about were potential items tht might be add to the game like key cards, gas mask, scp docs, world building docs, scp tapes, flash lights, med kits , tip/hint docs, and etc. this scp could shortly block ones progression but it wont stop them from going around or looking around.. a big factor that also needs some thought is delay between spawns and if there would be only one but other then that i think these changesare amazing .
ps. btw beautiful/constructive response , this is why i love forums
Why thank you and about spawn rate that's exactly what I was thinking about too! Tho' I still think, that there should be labels and stuff like that on top of the doors and in corridors, you know what, here're some examples for inspiration:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1149282490
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1145771537
Also, it's probably just me, but I think a little environmental moments like this could've been very good:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1382016103
Hmmm, the worldbuilding items of interest, delay between spawns, those are the things I haven't thought about. Hmmm, I think the spawn rate should be random and low, especially when there's no hostile SCP chasing the player, but, yeah, it should not be able to spawn immidiately after its first spawn, as you said.
Btw, if you want your suggestion for gameplay implementation of SCP 303 to get noticed, I would recommend you to go to "Bugs Reports and Suggestions" and create a new topic on this subject there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic